PART I | Research & Sketches
- Follow handout & blog to brainstorm & record insterdisciplinary artworks you want to inspire your sculpture.
- View Piet Mondrian and Stuart Davis' music inspired paintings and Pastmatters? audio installation by Suzanne Bartelson for ideas about combining visual art with music, dance, & drama.
- View links below, complete worksheet, & print out multiple views of the object you will make out of clay!
1. Build solid form with clay. Try to work LIFE SIZE… so use a small object!
2. Allow clay to become leather hard and either:
a. CUT IN HALF, DIG OUT INSIDE, REATTACH, & POKE A HOLD
b. DIG OUT FORM FROM UNDER SIDE OF SCULPTURE
3. Sculpt & add detail. Make creative choices to execute an expressive & well crafted design.
a. Give the object a STORY. What happened to it? Is it functional? Add another object to give more of a narrative to this scenario.
4. Carve initials on bottom & turn in uncovered to be fired in the kiln.
PART III | Painting Studio – Apply acrylic paint and mixed media for a finished realistic sculpture!